Tuesday, December 02, 2008

a story worth telling - part 2


The living, the living—they praise You, as I am doing today; 
fathers tell their children about Your faithfulness.  
Isa 38:19

So, the other day, April and I took the boys to Monkey Joes for a little time away from home. It's one of their favorite places to run around and play. While out that day, April had found the Jesus Story Book Bible. For a few weeks, Josh had been asking me about "his" bible. We were excited to get this for him.

So after an afternoon of playing, we get back home. Caleb and I are in the kitchen making casseroles for Thanksgiving. He and I are having a blast in there. Meanwhile, Josh and April are on the couch. They sat there from 4:30-7:00pm. I know what you are thinking, me too... that's a long time. Movies don't last that long. Certainly, the attention span of a 5 year old is not that long. However, Josh was so interested, enthralled might be a better word, with the story of Rescue. 

What I love about this little Bible is that it reminds anyone reading of the consistent theme of redemption, of God's relentless pursuit of people, and how all things point to Christ. To have such a Christ-centered understanding of the Bible at an early age -- everything else in the Bible makes sense if you understand the main point: Jesus - who was, and is, and is to come. 

April read him his new Bible from cover-to-cover, at Josh's persistent request. After hearing it, he simply said:

"I believe in Jesus and I want to pray".

No comments: