Wednesday, July 02, 2008

more than acknowledgments

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Cor 4:16

And without faith, it is impossible to please God because anyone who comes to him must believe he exists, and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6

For many years of my life, my "faith" rested on what was seen, on information, and feelings. The turning point came when by grace my eyes were closed, and the eyes of my heart were opened (Eph1:17-23) to move beyond acknowledgments about God. I think about the difference between Josh and Caleb saying what I already know to be true (like - Yes, you are our father.) and what is happens because of them knowing the truth (like - yes, you are our dad, and all we want to do is what you are doing. You love us and we love you. Can we wrestle? ) 

This morning, I was leaving for work, and the boys were watching The Wonder Pets. We normally don't allow them to watch tv in the morning, but today was an exception. I was telling them goodbye, but truth be told, I was in their way... of the tv. All I got, was an acknowledgment... a courtesy nod, and then back to tv. 

I've been thinking about how often I give Him a courtesy nod. Hey God... and then move on with my day. But that verse in Hebrews 11:6 is getting to me. More than belief, He also wants me to treasure Him, confidently believing He is the best of everything I could ever know or experience. 

Most days, Josh and Caleb are passionately in pursuit of me, doing anything and everything they can to be with me, play with me, go with me, be around me, enjoy me ... to the point, where I (as a mere human father) reach my end. By the end of most days, I have given my everything (and loved it) and I'm on E. A good nights sleep, and I'll start all over again... 

But the point - The One who has redeemed me never grows tired, never reaches E, never has to dig deep and find more life - HE is LIFE, and He promises to reward me when I earnestly seek Him. So, for today, I am earnestly trying to fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, i'm right there with you about faith sometimes being based on what we see, hear, and feel. It's amazing to see that letting go of the things that we can actually see enables us to see the things that cannot be seen.