Thursday, June 05, 2008

God of All Comfort

The God of all Comfort

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Who likes trouble? It’s not that we should enjoy it, but it is essential we embrace it. Trouble comes from many angles. Sometimes we choose poorly, and we have to face the music. Sometimes, other people choose poorly, and we have to face their music. Sometimes, bad things happen. There to, we have to face the music.

So often we confuse the gospel as insurance. Insurance that will pad our fall, insulate us from harm, inoculate us from suffering. The life we now have in Jesus however, means assurance. The confidence that in the storms, troubles, hardships… we are not alone, nor is our difficulty without purpose – and purpose that goes beyond our own lives.

We are comforted so that we can comfort. We have assurance in Him, so that we can remind others of our strength for the day, hope for tomorrow. The thing about comfort – is that it must be received. There are times, where we would rather not be comforted, hoping that our self-absorption will get us through the moment, hoping that our self-abasement will be seen as strength or dignity. But, self-reliance is man’s great stumbling block. Comfort must be received. From Him.

So for me to received comfort from God – means I have to be in relationship with Him. This means I need to be still long enough to know He has my attention. Maybe because I believe I can always have the attention of the Perfect Father, means I take Him for granted. A lot. Often. Daily. This is sad and humbling – but this is also great because He is committed to me – and extending me comfort, in all my troubles. All of them.

No comments: