Monday, February 23, 2009

the suitcase bike.


The suitcase bike. 

To be honest I'm not sure what the capacity is of this work of art. It appears to be more bike, than suitcase. Which makes sense I guess if you need a bike more than a suitcase. Either way, it makes a great point about people. We all have baggage. We all try to deal with it. 

Sometimes, it looks kinda cool, like a suitcase bike. Other times, not so much. Sometimes, it looks like a girl cutting her arms and abusing over the counter drugs. I don't get that, but her pain is real, and deceivingly managed through lacerations and loss of lucidity. It's heartbreaking and its happening. I don't know your name. I'm pretty sure you will never read this blog -- but if you do, know that a lot of people love you and are praying for you from this weekend. 

Jesus says that if we have burdens, are weary, or heavy laden -- to come to Him (even perhaps while riding the suitcase bike) and He will give us rest. 2 Cor 5 says that God is reconciling the world to Himself through Christ-followers. One thing I reflected on during this weekend retreat -- is that God makes his appeal to others through our response in pain, trust in circumstances, and dependence on Him to meet our needs. 

When we trust Him to heal, provide, come through, and be true -- we experience His faithfulness and others see faith genuinely lived out. I got on my knees several times this weekend, including once in front of about 400 jr high / sr high students. They God on their knees too. Picture that. 

Together, with outstretched hands we faced the two most common lies that haunt humanity: God doesn't love me and I can live without God. 

When we believe God does not love us, we look for significance instead of Him. When we believe we can live without God, we look for satisfaction outside of Him. Do the math. It's true. To hear that many people unload burdens through prayer and with tears... well, words fall short. What I do know is that God loves perfectly; He is truly trustworthy; I can't live without Him and He really does satisfy. 


No comments: