Thursday, July 17, 2008

tuning in.


There are seasons in life where the stakes seem higher and the call to trust God seems more pressing. On some days, it is far easier to trust my eternity (forever and ever and ever and ever) to God than it is to trust Him for today.  

I believe one reason why is because in the moment I fail to believe Him for who He is and what He has promised us in Christ. Confidence in God. Real trust in Him -- is my responsive choice, it is what I can bring as an offering. 

Childlike faith meeting the human condition - sometimes gets messy. Just like the wisdom of the world/american dream can square off against the ways of the kingdom/wisdom of God like a heavyweight UFC match. 

Good thing I know there is only one winner. Good thing His ways are NOT LIKE my ways, or yours. 

I am really asking the question, what does it mean to fix my eyes on Jesus as the author and perfecter of my faith --- in all things, like when I'm in the pool with my children, or when I'm in the grocery store, or when I'm emptying the dishwasher with April or when I'm really tired at the end of a long day. 

Why is it that under the pressure of not meeting other people's expectations for us I shift my gaze from Him to them? Yikes. It's my sinful default mode of choosing to live like there is no God, choosing to engage life from the temporal rather than eternal. 

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; YOU ARE MINE." Isa 43:1

This blog post will serve to remind me that in all the questions, choices, dreams, and convictions we are wrestling with now --- will be much clearer. I desire to live with expectant confidence in Him -- believing He exists and rewards those who seek Him. 

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them, I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are things I will do, I will not forsake them."
 Isa 42:16

I am writing this post in a hotel lobby in Alpharetta, GA. April and the boys (all three) are having nap time, and I'm tuning in for a wedding ceremony for dear friends a couple hours from now. Today, we woke up and went to the pool, spent time with our auburn family, went to Chic-Fil-A. Then the boys watched a Kermit movie while April and I spent time further processing where we are sense God's leading in our lives. Let me say - my wife is amazing. Her insight is like no other - so thankful for her. 

No comments: